The Adviser – The Goulburn and Murray Valleys' largest circulating newspaper

Be social... think local

$100M for Victorian farm modernisation

WATER UPGRADE TO SAVE OUR FARMS… A $100M on-farm irrigation upgrade program in Undera was announced yesterday, which is set to help save water for farmers in the area. From left, Senator Bridget McKenzie, Member for Murray, Jeanette Powell and farmer, Peter Quinn. Photo: SuppliedWATER UPGRADE TO SAVE OUR FARMS… A $100M on-farm irrigation upgrade program in Undera was announced yesterday, which is set to help save water for farmers in the area. From left, Senator Bridget McKenzie, Member for Murray, Jeanette Powell and farmer, Peter Quinn. Photo: SuppliedA NEW $100M on-farm irrigation upgrade program in Undera was announced yesterday, which is set to help improve water efficiency for farmers in the area.
With funding provided by the Commonwealth Government at Undera, the Victorian Farm Modernisation Project will deliver 53 gigalitres of water savings from the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District, of which 30GL will go to the environment.
The Victorian Coalition Government secured the funding for this project during Murray-Darling Basin Plan negotiations with the Commonwealth.
The Victorian Farm Modernisation Project will be administered by the Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority on behalf of the Farm Water Program consortium.
Member for Shepparton, Jeanette Powell said in return for funding to upgrade on-farm irrigation systems, participating Goulburn-Murray irrigators would return 55 percent of their water savings to the Commonwealth and retain the remaining 45 percent for their own use.
“The Victorian Farm Modernisation Project will align with the G-MW Connections Project.
“Types of work that may be funded include laser grading, drainage water reuse systems, automation of irrigation systems, conversions to pressurised irrigation, and replacement of farm channels with pipes and risers.
“These irrigation upgrades will bring multiple benefits to irrigators in the Shepparton district, including reduced water use and production gains.
“It will also mean increased regional economic activity, which leads to substantial economic benefits both for farmers and the broader community,” Mrs Powell said.

mainbottom-a