Sunday, October 22, 2017

SILENT KILLER

sadviser June 15, 2011

Dear Editor,

As the days get cooler, I’d like to remind all Victorians of the need to get their gas heaters serviced before winter to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless gas that is produced by faulty, unserviced gas heaters.

Last month, we (Energy Safe Victoria) launched a community education campaign to highlight the dangers of this silent killer, which has claimed nine Victorian lives in the past 11 years and seen countless near misses.

Our campaign is being spearheaded by Vanessa and Scott Robinson, parents of the two boys who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a property in Mooroopna in May last year.

These bereaved parents are determined to ensure that the same tragedy does not happen to another family.

Their message is simple: get your gas heater serviced at least every two years so this won’t happen to you.

If you haven’t already had your heater checked, I’d urge you to book a service with a gasfitter/plumber in your local area today. You’ll find a list of tradespeople in the Yellow Pages or the classified section of this newspaper.

I am pleased to report that many Victorians have already heeded our call and a number of faulty heaters across the state have been found to be dangerous.

In one case, a family booked a service after they found their goldfish dead in the morning after the heater was kept on overnight.

A greater tragedy was averted.

Don’t let your family fall victim to this silent killer. Take action today to protect your loved ones.

Yours sincerely
Paul Fearon
Director Energy Safety
Energy Safe Victoria